Friday, January 13, 2017

Weekly News Roundup

I am going to try something new on the show.  A weekly recap of all the Star Wars news that broke in the past week.  How am I going to do this in five minutes or less?  Well, have a listen to find out!

I also want to note, that as I was just about to post this episode, Lucasfilm released a statement about the use of Carrie Fisher's likeness as Princess Leia going forward.  It was rumored this week that ILM was working on digitally bringing her back for in Episode 8, or 9, or both.  I did not discuss these rumors in my round up, because it was just that, a rumor, and not news.    Well, Lucasfilm's statement IS news.  I debated going back and adding it to the show, but decided against it.  Instead, I will just repost the Lucasfilm statement here...

We don’t normally respond to fan or press speculation, but there is a rumor circulating that we would like to address. We want to assure our fans that Lucasfilm has no plans to digitally recreate Carrie Fisher’s performance as Princess or General Leia Organa. 
Carrie Fisher was, is, and always will be a part of the Lucasfilm family. She was our princess, our general, and more importantly, our friend. We are still hurting from her loss. We cherish her memory and legacy as Princess Leia, and will always strive to honor everything she gave to Star Wars.

I've said previously on the show that I would be ok with a digital recreation of Carrie Fisher in order to give a fitting end to the character of Leia Organa.  I feel that a character as iconic as Leia Organa deserves a better than an off screen ending, and that Lucasfilm should use all the tools in their tool box, including what we saw done in Rogue One with Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin.

That said, I do believe that such a tool should be use sparingly.  I would not to see a digital Leia used to the extent that Tarkin was used in Rogue One.  Carrie's passing is just too recent for that.

But all that is moot now, as it appears Lucasfilm will not be going that route with the character in the trilogy.  What route will they go?  Well, we'll all just have to wait and see.

Anyway, I would like to hear what you think.  Email me, connect with me on social media, or send a carrier pigeon.  Whatever works best for you!